I took this class because Professor Nelson inspired me in our summer Creative, Innovation and Entrepreneurship class to step outside of my comfort zone. Coming from a family of small business owners, I never saw entrepreneurship as my path. My father is the owner of a successful funeral home in Maryland which just celebrated its 25th anniversary and my grandparents owned a nursery for 50 years. When thinking of my childhood, it was resentment with missed holidays or birthdays because my father was called into work. I vowed never to go into his business - besides, it always just seemed like such a sad way to make a living!
As I prepared for this class and threw out ideas to myself about what business to pursue, I developed the idea of a yoga retreat. Have any of you visited Kripalu in western MA? It's a relaxing place where you can go and be silent for the weekend or take workshops and practice yoga to improve your sense of who you are. Not soon after, I visited Truro and thought it would be the perfect location for a yoga retreat. There wasn't anything like it there. The thought of opening a business on such a large scale was intimidating for me so I thought some more. While out walking my dog, I saw a commercial space on the waterfront in Charlestown and thought how great of a space this would be for a yoga studio. It would be great to combine my passion for the water with yoga.
The photo on the left is where the studio would be. It's in the first floor of several new condos and next to Spaulding Rehab. The photo on the right would be the view you would have while practicing yoga. It's not the beach in Truro but it's a water view!
While discussing my idea with several friends, the number one question I was asked was if I was a certified yoga instructor and this got me thinking on whether or not this was a qualification for opening my business. And the answer is, I am not sure you need it but it would be nice to have. Hiring good yoga instructors who have a following of students is difficult with a new studio and I would have to do a lot of networking to make this happen. I am an avid yoga student with several friends who are instructors that I plan to talk with and tap into as a resource for this business plan. Additionally, it's an added cost and if I was an instructor, it would definitely be a cost savings. What I think you need more when developing a business, is passion, patience and a lot of mentoring.
Additionally, I think one underestimates what it means to be a business owner. At least I did. Growing up all I saw was my father working hard and missing birthdays and holidays. What I chose not to see was his flexibility and dedication; that he was able to leave work early to take me to the doctor or a gymnastics meet, that he had an amazing work ethic, and that he had a vision and the nerve to see it through even though he had a family of four to support. He is a pillar in the community, serves on several boards and associations, and very successful. If my business plan becomes a reality after this class, I can only inspire to mirror my father. Creating and opening a business not only takes planning and a lot of hard work but it takes overcoming your fears, moving into the unknown and having a little faith.
Until next time, Deb

No comments:
Post a Comment